Friday, March 18, 2011

Sound of Music

If you don't already know, Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies of all time. I have even been on the Sound of Music tour in Austria- so cool! First there's the whole WWII aspect, which fascinates me in general, and of course I love musicals, and I'm a sucker for a good love story (which is probably a big part of my problem). If you haven't seen it, you should stop reading this post and go watch it immediately!  I could watch this movie over and over again and I find myself often breaking out into random songs from this show. Lately a couple of lyrics have been stuck in my head from the song "16 going on 17". For those of you unfamiliar with the musical, here's a brief synopsis of the scene in which this song occurs--- Liesel is Captain Von Trapp's oldest daughter and she is in "love" with Rolf, the telegram delivery boy. One night, he shows up to deliver a telegram and Liesel sneaks out to meet up with him. This song is where Rolf first expresses his feelings for Liesel. It is one of my favorite scenes in the musical.

But lately I've been thinking especially about the first verse of the song, which goes like this--
    "You wait little girl, on an empty stage for fate to turn the light on,
     Your life little girl, is an empty page that men will want to write on"
                                                                        ~ Sound of Music by Rogers and Hammerstein

I guess I'm struck by how applicable I feel like these lyrics are to my own life.... except that I would have to change the title to "28 going on 29", which somehow sounds way more pathetic. I certainly feel as though I am waiting on an empty stage for fate to turn the light on (translation- waiting for fate to bring someone into my life who will turn the light on permanently). Thus far, there have been several candidates, but eventually the bulb burns out. In my rational brain, I know I am living my real life now and I have plenty of blessings to be thankful for, but in some irrational, girl part of my brain, I don't feel complete. I feel like I'm still waiting for fate to turn the light on. I mean, I'm not sitting idly at home with a thousand cats or anything. I'm out there- living my life in the mean time, always wondering when my light will be turned on.

1 comment:

  1. But here's the thing. The 30's are the new 20's. So technically that makes your 20's the new teens. So really you are 18 going on 19.

    Feel better? :)

    ReplyDelete